One day as these men were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, "Dedicate Barnabas and Saul for the special work to which I have called them."
- This is an example of why I view this book as "the Acts of the Holy Spirit.". He's been working continually to spread faith in Jesus Christ, here in a very direct and obvious way!
Acts 13:9 (NLT)
Saul, also known as Paul, was filled with the Holy Spirit, ...
- First the sorcerer's name and now Saul's are rendered in Greek as this first missionary journey heads off into Greek territory. From here on I think we see "Paul" used consistently by the New Testament writers.
Acts 13:27 (NLT)
The people in Jerusalem and their leaders did not recognize Jesus as the one the prophets had spoken about. Instead, they condemned him, and in doing this they fulfilled the prophets' words that are read every Sabbath.
- A powereful testimony to the divinity of Jesus - that through his being denied and executed the prophecies were fulfilled. Not the kind of thing that anyone was trying to accomplish on their own or was even aware of.
Acts 13:31 (NLT)
And over a period of many days he appeared to those who had gone with him from Galilee to Jerusalem. They are now his witnesses to the people of Israel.
- The fact that most of the original eye-witnesses are still alive - and radically changed - boldly speaking these truths despite threats on their lives from the same enemies who killed Jesus, makes this testimomy very powerful!
Acts 13:33 (NLT)
... This is what the second psalm says about Jesus: 'You are my Son. Today I have become your Father.'
- This is just one of the many examples of Jesus' followers using the Old Testament scriptures to expound Christ's reality in Jesus. I wonder if we shouldn't be doing more of this ourselves even today...
Acts 13:39 (NLT)
Everyone who believes in him is declared right with God-something the law of Moses could never do.
- And there's the heart of the matter! And a warning...:
Acts 13:40-41 (NLT)
Be careful! Don't let the prophets' words apply to you. For they said, 'Look, you mockers, be amazed and die! For I am doing something in your own day, something you wouldn't believe even if someone told you about it.'"