Monday, February 18, 2008

Search Me O God - YIKES!

As I continue in my church's Read The Bible in 90 Days challenge, I'm now at the Psalms.


In psalm 139, David requests God to plumb the depths of his character to, "... see if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." This is a common theme in many of David's psalms. I started wondering how God accomplished this with David - and by extension, with me.

Could it be that David prayed such a prayer just before spying Bathsheba on the neighboring rooftop? Which let to a revelation that King David was an adulterer, a liar, a murderer, a thief, a traitor and many other despicable things. (Isn't it interesting how honest the Bible is about the duplicity and 'human-ness' of it's heroes? No idol-worship or white-washing allowed!)

And so, through this horrible misadventure, David's request is blatantly answered by God as Nathan confronts him. I love the King James version where Nathan pronounces: "Thou art the man!"

God never stopped leading David "in the way everlasting" despite David's failings. We see a different spirit in the King in Psalm 51 - which I always imagine as being written during the time that David was fasting and pleading with God over the consequences of his sin. 2 Sam:12

Don't take my imaginings as 'gospel' - the timing of when these psalms and other accounts were actually written is uncertain. But the concept that God works in our lives in all instances to reveal to us who we truly are is valid. Romans 8:28 says God uses, the good, the bad and the downright ugly, to bring about ultimate good in our lives if we give him permission.

It takes a lot of guts to pray the way David prayed. But we can trust that God has our ultimate good at heart. It will be worth it.

No comments: