Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Is God an egomaniac?

As you read the Bible, you can't miss the fact that God wants us to worship him. For example, it's the beginning of his contract with ancient Israel: "You shall have no other gods before me." Exodus 20:3

And Jesus obviously considered this a fundamental requirement in his own life: "Jesus said to him, "Away from me, Satan! For it is written: 'Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.' " Matthew 4:10

So it's clear - Worshiping God and Him Alone is a big deal.

Orion Nebula M42 formed by the explosion of a star at the end of its life (NASA, STSci.)

Has this ever made you wonder if God is an egomaniac? Maybe just a little bit? Aw, come on - you can admit it. You won't be struck by lightning! Has it never made you wonder why he's so stuck on himself? After all, if anyone else went on like this, you'd probably want to distance yourself from them - not worship them.

Someone once told me that they had "no use for the unreasonable God of the Old Testament". They went on to tell me that basically they preferred more inclusive ways to worship. Ways that allowed for them to decide who and what to revere.

In short, they thought God was an egomaniac. Or worse.

But is he? Or could it be that He is simply truthful? Think about it.

Ice Melting on Walden Pond, April 2001, "Water indeed Reflects Heaven"(Thoreau).

If I believe in a Creator Being who exists independently beyond time and space - If I believe that this One and Only Creator brings everything else that exists into being - including me. If I believe that this One and Only Creator upholds the vastness of the universe by his very thoughts, and keeps me alive by his love and will, then just what are the consequences of such belief?

Surely the most reasonable reaction on my part is to recognize his worthiness. To place this Creator at the head of everything. Worship simply becomes the most just and sane response.

I'm not writing this in a "holy rolly" tone of voice. I'm not writing with heated tones of religious zeal. I'm simply stating the plain truth. Logic demands that I take these claims by God as simple statements of fact. And conclude that God is the Ultimate Realist. The Teller of Truth.

When he says "Worship Me" he is simply being realistic. He is the One and Only Being to whom worship is the logical reaction.

As simple as that.


Sea Star on Vancouver Island

No comments: