Monday, May 16, 2011

Mark Twain moments...




James 5:2-3 (NLT)
Your wealth is rotting away, and your fine clothes are moth-eaten rags. [3] Your gold and silver have become worthless. The very wealth you were counting on will eat away your flesh like fire. This treasure you have accumulated will stand as evidence against you on the day of judgment.

- I think it was Mark Twain who said something like: "It's not the parts of the bible that I don't understand that scare me. It's the parts I do understand."

Jame's warning to people whose wealth is being hoarded up rather than put to use helping others and treating them fairly, is pretty clear.

I notice that the admonition is not against someone becoming successful, but rather against anyone who hides their fortune away where it becomes like food left to rot or fine clothing that becomes moth-eaten from lack of use.

James 5:5 (NLT)
You have spent your years on earth in luxury, satisfying your every desire. You have fattened yourselves for the day of slaughter.

- Given that we all live like royalty in Canada and the US, while most of the world labors and suffers under our current economic system, Jame's statements always give me a "Mark Twain" moment.

- I wonder -

No comments: